Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Today I Thought About Christmas Cards.

I love Christmas cards.  But it's been an overwhelming season for us and though I hate to admit it, I'm probably only going to be sending cards out to those who've sent us one.  That is SO not me.

When I was 10 years old my dad sat me down with a pen, a stack of Christmas cards and envelopes and his address book.  He showed me how to sign the card, address the envelope and stick a stamp up the the right hand corner.  That was my first year doing Christmas cards and I was hooked.  I have done them religiously (first for my parents/sibling family and now for my husband/children family) and with GREAT pleasure ever since then.

But it's a dying tradition you guys.  And I'm sooooo sad about it.  Every year we get less and less in return and it makes me so bummed.  It's a beautiful tradition but this year will be my first time breaking from that tradition.  I don't like it but it's just too expensive for a starving student family and too time consuming with so many orders to sew up and get out the door before and after Christmas (woohoo for a new etsy store!).

We did get the girls together, all casual-like on the couch, to take a picture for the few cards I'm going to mail soon.  And I thought I'd turn this post into a virtual Christmas card and send it to all of you!  My sweet bloggy friends!


Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Tony, Jamie, Ash, Britt, and Elle!

Which one do you like best?  I like myself in the first one better but Elle's smile in the second is too cute.  Did you send out cards this year?  Are you sad about the fizzling of the Christmas card tradition?  Do you refuse to let it die?  Or are you thinking, "Good riddance!"

I wonder when the stores will stop selling so many boxes of Christmas cards?   I got a lot of really cute ones, deeply discounted, last year, after Christmas.  It's gonna take me at least 3 years to use them all up.  Well, at the rate I'm going this year, it'll take more like 8.  :P

 


6 comments:

MommyMert said...

Loving the first. Your family is darling. Merry Christmas. Didnt get you a Christmas card because I didnt have your current address.. ah me. It was a last minute decision to send them... I was on the fence myself. Love the idea of cards, but you are right. The art is dying. So sad.

upsidedownchic said...

Jamie and Kari!! How are you girls? I just barely put a few cards in the mail today...don't have either of your mailing addresses (hint). Hope all is well and full of excitement with you both.
Love and miss you girls - Angela

An Apel a Day said...

I think I like the top one with the red snow flake. You all look great!

I took a photo of mine before Thanksgiving because I was going to get it out of the way. Well I had that done LONG before the back side writing. I could not think of what to say to go with the photo. That finally came. I do a postcard every year and get it printed at overnightprint.com They had a cyber sale. WOO HOO! Here it is:

http://theapels.blogspot.com/2012/11/ww-2012-christmas-card-linky.html

My main problem now is that everyone expects all of my cards to be very creative. That's getting hard to do after each year. Gosh a lot of my ideas have been used already.

Anonymous said...

I love the first picture. I still mail out Christmas cards. I love collecting cards, thought this year not a lot of people gave us cards.

Faith said...

I love the 2nd one!

I didn't mail out cards this year. Very unlike me.

mun said...

I like the first photo. Your girls were smiling so beautifully in it and you too.

I no longer send cards by snail mail. Just e-cards online.