Monday, March 11, 2013

Today I Weaned Elle.

 (what my sweet, baby elle looked like a year ago.)

Elle has been gradually weaning herself.  She reacted badly to cow's and goat's milk.  So I've been giving her rice and coconut milk regularly since she was....11 months, I think.  Somewhere around her first birthday, anyways!

We were in a long phase where Elle would nurse first thing in the morning and then right before she went to sleep.

Last week she cut out the morning feeding.  Today I sat down with her, after she was all ready for bed to nurse her.  Keep in mind, we're talking about speed-eating.  5-7 minutes tops.

Tonight she latched on, sucked a bit (not long enough for me to let down), then looked up at me, right in my eyes, came almost all the way off and BIT ME!  Then she sat up, pushed herself up and took up running, laughing and playing.

Just like that.  We're done.  I can't even tell you how I knew.  But that is exactly what she said to me in her non-verbal language.  It was the funniest thing.  I've never had an experience quite like that.  I've never had a child tell me they were done breast feeding, for good.  It was my decision to wean with the other two.

Elle is in such an independent stage right now.  She wants to do everything herself.  She wants to feed herself, dress herself, make her own choices about what she plays, who she plays with, when she will received hugs and kisses, etc.  It's so hilarious because she just doesn't have the mastery over her body yet to dress or feed herself very well!  I've wondered if I should introduce the potty......

Anyways, so yeah!  Elle is weaned.



**UPDATE**

She hasn't tried to nurse at ALL.  She just wants rice or coconut milk!  She was for real.  Bittersweet for me, but I've served my purpose!

9 comments:

momto8 said...

definitely bittersweet.

Eat To Live said...

Elle sounds like a little sweetheart!! When my Daughter was young, she couldn't tolerate cows milk and there weren't things like coconut, rice or almond milk.... that I knew of anyway. I fed her soy milk and she hated it.

MommyMert said...

Well, she certainly knows how to make her point. ;) Weaning is always bittersweet. I sorta miss nursing my baby still and its been a year. Is that crazy? I miss that simple sweet intamacy that only I could provide. However, I knew it was time. I just think those babies you make are so beautiful. Yes, it was my bday while you were here. No biggie. :) Hopefully we will be able to see you next time.

An Apel a Day said...

That's good she communicated with you. Maybe not so good with the biting! Ouch!

It was hard weaning my boys. Just as hard as their first latching experiences. With one of them I had to cut him cold turkey. They'd want to stop a feeding, then start it after a week. I stopped. Then I was an emotional mess.

I started both of my boy's on the potty at that age. I really wasn't trying to "potty train them". I just wanted them comfortable with the chair. As it turned out they would go. I got used to their timing. I was sort of training myself right along with them. It seemed to work out for us. It took longer to train though. It was a slow process.

mun said...

Elle is a smart girl to wean herself. No need for you to think and plan when to wean her.

Lea Marie said...

Awe, this was a bittier sweet time for me, though easier than with my 1st child because my other two weaned themselves. You are fortunate for that. Hugs!

SkyMommy said...

Aw, that is sweet and sad and funny all at the same time. At least you have a little girl who knows exactly what she wants. That will do well for her all her life.

Saimi said...

Oh my what a little darling she knew exactly what she wanted and told you! What a smart girl I love it!

Faith said...

Wow, talk about independent! She is so smart and probably helps that she has two older sisters. But being bit I'm sure is no fun.