Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Today I Took Some Recipes for a Test Drive.

I wanted to taste Ash's birthday cake before her birthday party.  The day of the event is really not a good time to be trying out a new recipe.  I opted to go with a cake box recipe because....well...hard to mess those up, you know?  I wanted to do a fancy Neapolitan cake, but as we get closer to the party, the more stressful that sounds. 


So how about a vanilla cake with strawberry frosting and chocolate ice cream?  I got the cake recipe from Bakerella.  And it turned out great in cupcake form (though a bit flat on top) so I have no doubt it'll be great as a layer cake (as Bakerella intended it to be). 


For the frosting, I tried was a recipe that had good reviews, but when I made it, I found it to be a bit too runny, too sweet and not strawberry-ish enough.  So I added shortening and more strawberry puree and that made it much better. 

(i really need to get a camera like the ones the bakers above have.  there's something to be said for a nice, clear shot with all the details.)


So we're all set!  The cake, frosting, and ice cream are gonna be good!  Yay!

9 comments:

SZM said...

Oh yum....can I come?

Faith said...

oh yum! it looks good! such a good idea to test drive items you are going to make ... hmm, i should probably do that before i make the birthday cake for my sister next week, haha.

Amy said...

mmmmmm... that looks GOOD!

Eat To Live said...

I know what you mean about a new camera. I have a decent one, I just don't know how to use it.

mun said...

Yummy! Simply delicious!

An Apel a Day said...

Sounds yummy!

Vicky said...

Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Great idea with the test drive.

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

you test drive recipes? good for you. i should do that too. actually i should learn to bake cake from scratch.

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good, yummy yummy.