Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Today I Read A Book.

As the oldest of many kids, I've read lots of stories.  I used to loooooooooooooooove going to the library and picking a huge stack of books for myself and another separate, equally large, pile of books to read to my younger siblings.  I've worked in libraries and schools most of my career years.  You'd think I'd be reading up a storm with my own two girls.  As pitiful as it sounds, my goal is to read them at least one book a day.  And sometimes I don't even make that goal.  But, it's important.  It really is.  Studies show that kids who are read to do better with language over all.  Speaking, reading, writing, you name it.  Ash loves books.  She loves for me to read to her.  I'm sure Britt will too when she overcomes her insane desire to chew on everything she can get her paws on.  Anyways, here are some of my favorite picture books.  What are yours?


















Seriously, there are sooooooooo many more (like, thousands) that I'd like to list, but I decided to just go with the ones that popped into my head first. 

And don't forget that sometimes it's all about the fun place in which you choose to curl up with that book.


Ash got her book reading bucket here.


10 comments:

Rachel said...

I discovered a great picture book a few years ago at the BYU bookstore. Its called While Mama Had a Quick Little Chat. The story is cute and the illustrations are amazing! I highly recommend it! Andrew hasn't liked reading until recently. Whenever we would try, he would grab the books out of our hands and throw them. I'm so happy he's finally over that phase.

Jenny Bolech said...

Did you know that the Big Hungry Bear book was the very-very-all-time-favorite book in my house when I was growing up? I'm pretty sure my brother and sisters and I can all still recite it (and my niece Josie is getting pretty good at reading along with it too!) If I had to pick one book that I remember more than all the others it would be that one, so I was very excited to see it in your list :)

I also really liked the Jane Hissey Old Bear series of books. I'm not sure if they are in print anymore, but I find them in used bookstores every now and again.

Jenny Bolech said...

Oh and I love Ash's reading bucket ;) Too cute!

Amy said...

haha, that bucket is too cute!!

I love reading too. I'm definitely going to read to my little one. Looking forward to building up our own little collection!
My mom used to take us to the library during summer vacations so we would have things to do. I miss those little day trips!

Saimi said...

I love, love, love children books! My kids are all grown and gone but I still collect them. I know I'll be having Grandkids some day so I have to have my stash!

One of my favorite places to buy books is Kohls. You can get a book and stuffed animal for 5 dollars each. The stuffed animal goes with the story.

Your daughter is adorable!!!

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

HOW CUTE!!! Love those photos. :)

Kelsey said...

How stinking cute is that little girl sitting in that tub reading?

PCovi said...

I can say part of The Little Fur Family by heart :)
I'll add The Seven Silly Eaters to your list!!! Love it!

Jenny said...

That first book is one of my all time favorites!

Kimberly said...

Bucket reading! How adorable.