Friday, December 16, 2011

Today I Need to Do a Follow-Up Post.

Remember my post on Packaging Girlhood?  I went ahead and recommended it without reading the whole book.  I still haven't finished it, but I have gotten to the section on how the media and our culture affect our middle-schoolers and teenagers.  Can I just say that I am a little intimidated about having girls that age?  And am even more disgusted by what children of those ages have to wade through everyday, especially at school?  Yikes!  I know I was a bit sheltered because I was home schooled through every grade, but now I appreciate that decision even more.  There are a lot of possibly negative experiences I was spared.  I suppose it hasn't gotten any better either. 

I'm not sure I can still recommend this book.  It is certainly NOT for the faint of heart.  They blatantly quote examples of movies, books, and lyrics that our young girls are regularly subjected to and that includes a lot of swearing, slurs, and degradation of women.  It's just plain sick.  So - there you have it.  IF you choose to read this book, be warned.  It's not just depressing.  It's also disturbing.  But very informative (though prejudiced, as I mentioned in my earlier post, as all opinions are).  I do have to commend these women for just telling it like it is.  It is the extreme and obviously if we can help our adolescents choose uplifting media and friends, we can spare them a lot of the garbage our culture has to offer.  That's all.  :)

4 comments:

Eat To Live said...

Hmmmm.... I hate reading books that have a lot of swearing in them. Thanks for the heads up.

Lisa said...

I'll look for that book. This is a topic that really concerns me because I have a teenage daughter. We homeschooled her for 7th and 8th grade and she just started high school this year at a public school. I'm appalled at the things she is being exposed to. It bothers me so much to see how our culture sexualizes young girls...and even more, how so many people are OK with it!

Thanks for the recommendation.

mun said...

Thanks for doing a follow-up post. I found the companion website to the book. Looks interesting!

Faith said...

hmm, i kinda feel like i have to read this book ... sounds like something everyone needs to be aware of regardless if we like it or not.