Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Today I Encouraged My Kids to Help Themselves.

My girls are 3 and almost 2.  I'm going to have another baby within a month.  I need to be encouraging as much self-sufficiency in my children as possible.  It's going to be so much more difficult when I've got my hands full of newborn.  The more Ash and Britt can do for themselves, the better.  So - I'm trying to make myself stop and invite the girls to learn to do things for themselves before I rush in and do it all for them.

I find this difficult for three reasons.  1.  I accomplish everything much faster.  2.  They often resist having to do things themselves before they learn to be proficient at each skill (once they get it, they don't want help anymore).  3.  I like being needed.  It makes me feel good to serve my kids and help them. 

Today I had a laugh because Ash put her undies and pants on by herself after using the potty.  She did a great job (though I did have to fix them later because they wouldn't stay up). 

Pants Backwards
(she had no idea why i was taking this pic, but was perfectly willing to pose anyway.   tee-hee!)

You'd think with all the Montessori training I've had (over 10 years ago), I'd be better at teaching and encouraging my children to take care of their own needs as much as possible.  What can I say?  I'm a work in progress too.  :)

10 comments:

mun said...

Aha, so Ash's jeans were on backwards - could be the new IN thing to do! ;)

Eat To Live said...

LOL... that is so cute.

Amy said...

Ha ha ha! You're awesome. That pic is hilarious.

We're all a work in progress. That's what makes it so fun. Or at least interesting...

An Apel a Day said...

Mica was much better about helping himself over Isaak. Maybe it's just what I remember. Isaak's really frustrating with that right now. He knows how to dress himself but says, "I can't do it!" He knows how to whine to! One day I had him put socks on me. He thought it was fun. Then I said, "Ok you need to put socks on your feet now." He says, "I can't do it!" and threw himself on the ground.

With Mica my goal was for him to get up and down off the potty himself when going number 2. I knew I'd be having another c-section with Isaak. I wouldn't be able to lift him a lot. Well he got it in the nick of time at age 2 1/2. I also switched his bed to a toddler bed, so I again wouldn't have to lift him.

That's so cute that Ash had her pants on backwards. She looks so happy and accomplished to. Independence is so hard. They want help in a lot of ways; they want to do it themselves in other ways.

Charmaine Poulin said...

Love this....so cute! Sometimes it's so great to have them be independent.....and then in my house there's Lily.....she's so independent sometimes it causes disasters everywhere she goes! One month to go! I can't believe it!!!! Good luck from here on out!

Saimi said...

The way she's posing she could be modeling a new style...the backward pant..I think it could go big! HA!!

I'm all about self help and I think your doing a great job encouraging them!

Anonymous said...

LOL

SZM said...

Classic!!!

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

aren't we all conflicted! we want them to grow up and be independent, but not too much that they won't need us anymore ... sigh!

good luck on your labor! i hope it will be a smooth one, and your new baby girl to be healthy.

Myrnie said...

You're going to rock the whole three kid thang :)