Friday, December 2, 2011

Today I Want to Share Something Cool, Thought-Provoking, and Meaningful



I think I saw this group's video from last year, last December and this one is even better.  Imo.  Thanks to Suzette for sharing this so I could see it, love it, and share it with you!  I really like the suggestion to make presents.  As you know, I have already been doing some of that and now will be adding more.  I'm basically done with the Christmas gift shopping.  Only a handful of people left (friends, grandparents, church teachers, etc) and they will be getting handmade.   Because it's good for me, them, and  whichever charity we decide to send the leftover money to.  Wanna know something funny?  That advent calendar I sent to my brother and his family?  I insured it for $100!  I never insure anything.  But I put so much time and effort and love into that item, I figured it was worth at least much.  And that's the thing about handmade.  You put so much more into those types of gifts (generally)!  That's why they are cool.  :)  And that's why my sister-in-laws suggested homemade for the married sibling gift exchange this year.  Thanks guys!  I vote we keep it that way from now on.  I will say this though, handmade does not necessarily mean you'll spend less time on the gift.  :)  Are you making anything?  Got any clever tutorials to share with me?  I might re-post if I end up using it.  **wink**

P.S.  I said something today that I never imagined I'd ever say.  I said, "Share the mommy."  I hope my girls take that to heart!

P.P.S.  I am, by no means, implying that anyone who isn't making something is un-cool.  I'm just sharing my thoughts and feelings, as usual.  :D

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I have been crocheting presents for everyone in our families this year. I have been working on them since August and I still have 8 more things to get done.

I can't tell you how much time and effort have gone into each thing I've done, but It is SO worth it. I have been more in the Christmas Spirit this year than ever before! I absolutely can't wait for Christmas, just so I can give my family their presents that I've spent so much time on making!

An Apel a Day said...

One year I made coasters for everyone. They were out of tiles. I used the dremil tool to carve out leaves in some and stained them fall colors. I did playing cards for ours. Then flowers for my parents. Many more. It took a lot of time.

The only thing I'm making this year is bread for teachers. I got them pencils with their names on them to go with.

Eat To Live said...

Years ago, I used to make my gifts but life got in the way. I guess maybe I should think about doing it again. Great video!

SZM said...

Thanks for the shout out! That video has had a profound impact on me. Glad it did you too!!

mun said...

I used to make greeting cards to give to my friends but no longer do so now. Got to do it again!

Amy said...

Loved the video and I totally agree.

I haven't even STARTED on Christmas!! Ack.

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

This video is so powerful, profound! I shared this in FB. Every year, I make our own Christmas card to give away. I hope next year, I'll make more handmade stuffs...