Thursday, March 10, 2011

Today I Puddle Stomped.

Ash went outside this afternoon and refused to come back inside for a good 20 minutes.  So I threw all my adult sensibilities and responsibilities to the wind and jumped in puddles with my toddler instead of doing the rest of my to-do list. 

Puddle Jumper


It was very windy.  We even lost power for 3+ hours.  Ash must have felt so wild and free, because she was running around and laughing and acting crazy as the wind blew her hair all over the place. 

Windblown

I took a break from Hunger Games today because I just got Last Child in the Woods from the library.  So far, the thing that stood out to me most was a bit about how children now have a harder time coming up with entertainment on their own even when surrounded by the outdoors and imagination.  That kind of scared me.  The part about how parents are the ones that set the tone and example really bonked me over the head too.  If Tony and I only ever watch tv, sit at the computer, or play with our ipods - what message is that sending our girls?  Yikes!  The answer gives me the creeps. 

I think we I need to unplug more. 

Boots

We could all do with more of the things in life that spark creativity and nurish the imagination, not those activities that fill in the blanks for you and give you a break from really even using your brain.

I'm not saying I need to blog less.  I think that writing and keeping records are really beautiful and important things to do, but Ebay, Facebook, checking email eleventy-hundred times a day, and watching 3 hours of tv for bed?  Yeah, not so glorious.

By the Fence

Wow.  Where'd all this confessing come from.  It's ok.  It's a good thing.  Now my dear friends, you must hold me accountable.  I need to read more books (to myself and my kids), create more crafty things, dust off the sewing machine, try more recipes, and as much as I hate to admit it - the house could use a bit more cleaning on a daily basis.  :)

Oh yeah, and **sigh**  exercise.

10 comments:

Faith said...

with the break i have taken from blogging it is amazing how much time it has freed me! :)

glad you took the moment to puddle stomp! :)

Charmaine Poulin said...

Ha ha! So much fun!!! The last bit is a list of all the things I need to do too!!!

MommyMert said...

Tim and I took inspiration from your post... Mondays are no tv/computer days... well... we are going to try it. :) Thanks. Super love that you played in the puddles. Seriously love those kind of days.

Theodora Ofosuhima said...

That's so sweet mummy :)! I love the pictures, especially the one with Ash in the paddle :D! I wish I was there too.

mun said...

So cute! Your green rubber boots have eyes!

KBoo said...

I'm with you there. I need to get my bum off the computer. It looks like it might be 40 today, so we're going to head outside. :)

Vicky said...

Are those your frog wellies?
So cool!
I used to have a pair like that when I was little but I would love a pair of adult sized ones!

Amy said...

Love your wellies! I was going to call them galoshes but I like wellingtons so much better... much more British sounding. :)

How fun to splash in puddles! This post is awesome, we all need to step back and unplug a little more often.

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

that we need to unplug more - I can't agree more! Thank you for this reminder!

Myrnie said...

So, so true. I spend way too much time on the computer... :(