Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Today I'm Pregnant (Journal Part 3 and Final Entry).

So this is it.  This wraps up the journal I've been writing and saving.  Anything else I have to say about my pregnancy will just be said when it occurs. 

Today I discovered Maple & Brown Sugar Life Cereal.  Oh My YUM!!!!!!  I won't even tell you how much of it I've consumed today.  It's soooooo goooood!

Anyhow, the last of my 1st trimester journal and a picture of me when I was pregnant with Britt:

Third Trimester - Preggo with Britt
(this pic was taken at the baby shower a couple of friends threw for me.  it was a book shower.  we received many beautiful, new books for our growing collection.  it was awesome.  here i am admiring the cake another friend made.  i was a little less than a month away from delivering britt-britt.)

July 5th.
I feel better with each day. I did my best to stay out of the sun and shade my eyes today and that made a huge difference in keeping that headache away. I may not have been updating about the headaches. They seem to be brought on by the bright light and heat, but mostly the light. I hate them. Headaches make it impossible to focus on anything else. I tried to go without a nap today, but my body wasn't having it. I crashed at 5pm. Thankfully I was in Mom's house with the girls, so my kids were attended to. Maybe I should stop trying to cut the naps out of my schedule. They make a huge difference in my energy level.

July 6th.
I keep forgetting to take my prenatal. I stopped taking it at night because it really does make one sick on an empty stomach and I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to fall asleep quickly. Boo. I've discovered that if I take it right after a breakfast, I feel fine. But, I'm usually pretty preoccupied with two little munchkins right after breakfast, so I forget. I've decided that I'll be sharing my secret (this pregnancy) once I have hit the second trimester, which is 14 weeks. **sigh** You have no idea how hard it is for me to keep secrets!!!

July 14th.
So, I haven't been so great at updating this journal. I guess that's because there isn't usually much of anything new and different to say. Well, I went to check out Swedish Midwifery yesterday and I have found my place! This time for real. I loved it there. I really took to the midwife who met with me. Her name is Lisa. We talked forever and she didn't mind at all. **thumbs up** Bad news? I've gained 10 pounds in 2 months. **droop** And based on how my clothes fit, every ounce of that gain is in my belly. Laaaaame. I'm sure it's because I've been eating more protein and probably more food in general. When I feel really crappy I eat only enough to get by. When I feel great I eat normally and smart. When I feel sort of gross and/or tired, I eat everything to try to feel better. Hence, the enlarged buddha. Plus, with no energy I have completely let my exercise go. I did walk for a bit today, but that's a first in over a month. So, at this point I have spilled the beans. I was planning on announcing my pregnancy (to you, my dear bloggy friends) with this journal I've been keeping but the 30 Day Challenge just led right into the unveiling so perfectly. I really am torn. Weird how I want to tell everyone and at the same time, no one. I wanted to be able to say, "Hi! I promise I'll do more interesting posts from now on because I am officially in the 2nd trimester and am no longer sick and how TONS of energy!!! Woohoo!" But, I'll hit my second trimester in a week and a day and I'm still feeling yucky (though, if I'm honest it is improved). My midwife did recommend me getting a dating ultrasound because even though I'm SURE of when I ovulated and conceived, my cycle doesn't quite match up with the dates. So even though I'm 99.9% positive I'm right.... I could be wrong. Which would mean I've got a week or two longer before I hit the second trimester. And if that's the case? Boooooooo!

July 19th.
Today I felt like a butterfly, awakening in its chrysalis. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This has been a very dark tunnel, let me tell you. Today, I started cleaning my house for the first time in over a month. I know that is awful and disgusting, but it's true. I have had no energy and I've felt disgusting/sick/retched/depressed. I was even ambivalent to it all. Tony tried to clean up every once in a while, but it's really not his talent. But, I felt a shackle fall off today. It was wonderful. I still had to chew gum while changing poopy diapers. I still had Tony clean out the fridge (I couldn't even talk to him about it without gagging repeatedly). I still had to pee a lot. I still succumbed to an afternoon nap. But, I totally felt different today. I felt mostly normal! I cannot even begin to tell you how depressed I will be if things go back to crummy tomorrow. I NEED to be on my way into the 2nd trimester! I need it baaaaaad. I want to be that butterfly coming out of the chrysalis.

July 22nd.
My midwife called to let me know that she got all the paperwork from Pacific Midwife and she noticed, from the blood work that I had done, that I have hyperthyroid! I'm now on Synthroid for it and am soooo upset that the first midwife I went to never said anything about it! Not treating hyperthyroid during pregnancy can cause the child to have a lower IQ! Not a good thing to miss. I'm sooooo glad I went with my gut (and my ND's urging) and kept looking for a different midwife. I really hope everything is ok with my baby and that he/she hasn't been damaged. This could explain part of why I've been so depressed, lethargic, and apathetic. It would also explain the greasiness and hair loss.  Totally worth going through all that if it was because the baby was taking up everything from my thyroid and leaving me nothing!

July 25th.
I am in my 2nd trimester now! The ultrasound today confirmed it which means I can share my news with everyone (pretty much already have). They couldn't tell the gender, but that's ok. We'll find out at 20 weeks. As for how I'm doing physically, as long as I keep food in my system I feel pretty darn good! The gag reflex is diminishing (thank heavens!!!). I don't have to nap as much and I am getting more accomplished around the house. Now I really have no excuse to not add the exercise back into my daily routine.

July 26th.
My midwife called this afternoon with the results from my ultra sound. In other words, what the ultrasound technician didn't tell me.... I have partial previa. But based on what I've read (and the tone of my midwife's voice), I'm not worried. It will most likely correct itself. Worst case scenario would be if it doesn't correct itself, I'd have to have a c-section because a vaginal delivery would most likely cause me to bleed to death. But, like I said, my chances of this correcting itself are high. **thankful**

Hope everyone is having a lovely summer!  Can you believe it's almost August!?!?! 

P.S.  I just now found out what treacle is.  I've seen it referred to in many books but never wondered what it was until today.  Never had it before.  Have you?


Anonymous said...

I've never had treacle before.
I remember when I was pregnant with both boys I was so sick. I was sick for the whole 9 months. It was rough. Hang in there. February is right around the corner.

alissa4illustration said...

I had to look up partial previa and treacle.

I'm glad your midwife caught your hyperthyroid! Before that I was thinking, I got really big in the tummy fast with my 2nd and so did my sister. I've heard the more you have the bigger, faster you get. Some of that's normal. I would have never thought hyperthyroid! Glad she caught that one!

I always took my prenatal in the morning with breakfast. That's when I always took my vitamin, so it fit in with the routine just fine.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing up your 1st trimester! Those are always the worst...well, besides for the 3rd (where I'm at now.) Enjoy the 2nd part and be glad the weather will be cooler towards delivery time!

Mrs. K said...

OMG, I'm so excited for you. Congrats. I know I'm very late because I havent been blogging much lately. That is awesome. Woohoo :)

Vicky said...

I've loved catching up with your journal. Glad you are feeling a bit better, my fingers are crossed for you that it lasts.
I was ridiculously tired early on with Logan, but although I was never told my iron levels were low, my energy came back once I started to take an iron supplement.