Thursday, February 10, 2011

Today I'm Hormonal.

Ugh.  That is the best word to describe my feelings.  Torn.  That is also the best word to describe my feelings.  I am in the process of weaning Britt.  No, it's not up for debate.  It's solely our decision.  Opposing opinions won't change or help anything. 

For those of you who have been there, you know that your nursing mommy hormones get mad at you when you wean your child.  For those of you who have yet to experience this, just know that it's hard, but a part of life with babies. 

Britt is doing well.  She's still getting plenty to eat and drink and only had one melt down (albeit a long one); last night when she wanted to nurse for the snuggle and comfort.  She didn't want to have anything to do with a bottle.  That was rough. 

But, it's time.  I feel it.  I'm making very little milk anyways since Britt loves regular food so much.  It's just... time. 

I remember how hard it was with Ash when she was 7 months.  I cried and cried.  Britt is almost 11 months.  It's been good.  I'm going to keep telling myself all the positive things about this and we'll just power through it.  I haven't cried.  Yet.

I'll miss the physical connectiveness (did I just make up a word?), but it means we're one step closer to having a little girl room and a parent room (it's currently an Ash room and an everyone else room).  Yay!

Milk Drunk

{Milk drunk.  On the day of her birth.  She was constantly falling asleep at the "table."}

I love you Britt-Britt.  No matter how I deliver your food to you.

11 comments:

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

I feel you. Weaning is HARD - both physically and psychologically (It was so hard for me! And I can't wrap my brain hows I'm going to do it the 2nd time around.)
But hang in there, 'cause when it's all done you'll feel liberated, but it doesn't mean you love the big baby less.

Tristin said...

11 months is such a great accomplishment and hey, you're still nourishing her! I miss nursing... what a special bond!

Meg said...

Oh I feel your pain. I stopped nursing all three of mine around 7 months because I wasn't making enough milk and it wasn't easy. I missed it.

Hope tomorrow is a better day!

Unknown said...

Hey there, thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'm looking forward to reading more of yours. Good luck with weaning :)

Kelsey said...

Ahh, it'll be okay! I weaned mine both at almost 2 years, and thankfully it wasn't bad. With my son, we just left him at Grandma's while we vacationed in Florida, and my daughter pretty much weaned herself. But I know the hormone thing. Eat some chocolate!

An Apel a Day said...

I know exactly what you're talking about! I tried weaning Isaak ever so slowly! He'd cut a tooth, or get a cold. We'd be back to nursing all the time again. Finally I felt it was really time to stop. It's odd you once work so hard to make something work, then you have to work to stop it. Boobs should have Velcro. I would have loved to remove them just while I was weaning. Out of sight, out of mind. I finally had to wean cold turkey. It's so bad, but Isaak wouldn't quit any other way. My emotions were CRAZY!

Elizabeth said...

My heart understands this so well. I do really know how this is. Very mixed feelings. Very poignant, relieved, sad, confusing, inexplicable feelings.

You're a good mom. She is a growing baby. :) :(
Hang in there!

Erin @ The Little Apartment said...

I'm right there with you sister. I'm weaning mine too, and it's hard, no matter when you decide to stop.

Amy said...

My and my sisters call it the b*oberant. Like restaurant. ha ha ha. always gets a laugh.

I can't offer any advice! Just know that I read your words and I'm bummed for your situation and rooting for ya! :)

Vicky said...

I think most mums will understand where you are coming from. I stopped with Baylie around the same age, because she only nursed to get to sleep and I didn't want her to be dependant on that, but part of me (the emotional, irrational, mummy part) missed it! xx

autumn said...

So sorry, nursing hormones wack everything out and make it even harder to function that it already is with a baby! I can't even imagine how weaning must make that even harder.
Thanks for your comment on my blog!